Career Pathways (CTE)
Career Technical Education (CTE) is a program that provides technical and soft-skills training to students preparing for future careers and higher education. Students who enroll in CTE Pathways take 2-year or 3-year course sequences in an area of specialization as one of their electives. They engage in hands-on learning experiences with highly specialized industry-standard equipment, participate in field trips, work in internships and network with professionals from their specific pathway industry sectors. While earning credits toward high school graduation, CTE students at Birmingham can also earn up to nine (9) semester college credits* and industry standard certifications. All of our CTE pathway classes focus on high-demand, high-wage, high skill industry jobs and are taught by highly qualified teachers with prior experience in that industry. Students in CTE pathway programs enjoy the benefit of getting a head start on FREE college enrollment that is built into their high school classes while learning the practical skills of equipment and software that can be used in a job today or long term career tomorrow.
*Credits in a given pathway are determined by the number of articulated courses with college partners. Students must meet minimum requirements in order to receive college credit.
Most CTE courses are A-G approved and meet UC/CSU admission requirements.
Students can begin a pathway sequence of courses in 9th, 10th or 11th grade in order to have the two or three years required to complete the pathway sequence.
CTE Pathway Recognition
- Complete your CTE Pathway
- Complete industry certification or college units in pathway
- Earn a certificate and pin
- Complete 40 industry hours within pathway
- Earn a medallion at graduation
Please contact Mrs. Zook or your pathway teacher for more information
Pathways at BCCHS
- Arts, Media, & Entertainment Pathways
- Hospitality, Tourism, & Recreation Pathways
- Health Science & Medical Technology Pathways
- Business & Finance Pathways
- Information & Communication Technologies Pathways
- Engineering & Architecture Pathways