Creating a College List
Where should you apply?
How many colleges should you have on your college list?
- 4 CSU
- 4 UC
- 4 Private
- 1 Community College
3 Safety Colleges 5 Match Colleges 4 Reach Colleges
What is a "Safety" College?
Your GPA & test scores are above the average of admitted students and you have a HIGH chance of being admitted
- CSU: Local Area CSU (CSUN) / Non-impacted CSUs
- UC: those with higher admission rates (Merced, Riverside, Santa Cruz)
- Private: Those with higher admission rates
What is a "Match" College?
Schools known as a "perfect fit. Not hard for you to get into, but you're not guaranteed admission. Your GPA and test scores should match those of admitted students.
What is a "Reach" College?
Colleges that have a 15% OR LESS admission rate, regardless of your GPA and test scores.
Do my GPA + Test Scores determine my admission to college?
NOT EXACTLY. GPA is an important Factor but not the only one. Don't get discouraged if your dream college is a "reach" and don't be a snob and look down on "safety" & "match" colleges. What's most important is to find the right fit for you.
- Campus LIfe (dorms, Greek life, activities/organizations, student life, sports, etc.)
- Size of school (large v small class size)
- Support services
- Programs / Majors
- Cost / Financial Aid