The Purpose of Title I:
“…to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards…”
-from Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) 2015
The Goals of Title I:
- Increase academic achievement
- Provide direct instructional support to students
- Provide professional development to teachers
- Narrow achievement gap of subgroups
- Promote parent education
- Develop parent engagement
Important section in Elementary & Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1963:
- Provides supplemental federal funds.
- Serves educational needs of low-achieving students in highest-poverty schools.
Allocation of Title I Funds based on:
- NSLP Eligibility–at least 50% of students eligible for free/reduced price meal; and
Schools receiving Title I funds must maintain a School Site Council (SSC) to advise the school for all programs funded through the federal funds’ ConApp.
For more information on the School Site Council, click here.