SIGN UP FOR SPRING SEMESTER ROP CLASSES!!!!
See Mrs. Zook in the Library/CCC to sign up
*You MUST be 16+ years old and in 11th or 12th grade
*Earn high school credits
*Get on-the-job training
*Free for high school students
ALL CLASSES START: Saturday, 8/26/17
SALES & RETAIL MERCHANDISING
Northridge Mall Sat 9:00-3:30pm
West Valley Animal Care Control Center Sat 9:00-3:30pm
East Valley Animal Care Control Center
Bank of America, Mission Hills Sat 9:00-2:15pm
Volunteer & Internship Opportunities:
Health Science & Medical Technology
· CAMP Children's Hospital Los Angeles (9th, 10th, 11th grades) www.chla.org/campchla
Application info available November 2016. Applications open online on January 16, 2017 and will close when 400 applications are received, or on Friday, January 20, 2017. This is a summer camp program.
· STEP UP Summer Youth Research Program (11th & 12th grades)
Application opens online November 15, 2016. Application deadline February, 15, 2017
· Eve & Gene Black Summer Medical Career Program (11th & 12th grades) www.lapedsoc.org
Application Deadline: February 2017
· Red Cross Summer Internship Los Angeles
Applications available February 2017. Application Deadline March 2017
· Kaiser Permanente L.A.U.N.C.H. Summer Youth Employment Program (11th & 12th grades)
Applications available April 3rd, 2017
· Southern California Academy of Sciences Research Training Program (9th, 10th, 11th grades)
http://scas.nhm.org Conduct research and pair up with a mentor throughout the school year. For students interested in Science
Application deadline June 2017
· Kaiser Medical Explorers Program-Panorama City (9th, 10th, 11th & 12th grades)
Applications available August 24, 2016 at 5:00 pm in Building 3 (Oasis Cafe). This program is for the entire school year, students must commit to attend monthly Wednesday meetings at Kaiser. Students will interact with medical professionals during career & educational lectures and participate in tours of the facility. Only 50 applications are given out & only 36 students will be chosen.
· Volunteer at a local hospital- see Mrs. Zook to get applications or contact info for Volunteer Directors.
Arts, Media, and Entertainment
· Warner-Bros. Entertainment paid internship (12th grade)
Internship and Scholarship awarded to only 3 high school students in LA county.
Application available November 2, 2016. Application Deadline March 1, 2017
· CAP Summer Arts Program (10th, 11th & 12th grades)
Free 3 week summer program in acting, animation, creative writing, music, photography and visual art.
Application available: Now Application Deadline April 11th, 2016
· Flights of Fantasy Story Theater volunteer (14+ years)
Non-profit acting group offers different opportunities including setting up props and sets.
www.flightsoffantasy.org 8048 Le Brenton St, Sunland 818) 353-0975
· LARRS (Los Angeles Radio Reading Service) volunteer
Read and produce weekday live broadcasts for a radio station that broadcasts newspapers to the blind.
· LA Philharmonic volunteer (Must be 18+ years old)
Volunteers assist LA Phil staff with a variety of office tasks, as well as special events and projects. Service activities general take place at LA Phil, Walt Disney Concert Hall, or at the Hollywood Bowl’s volunteer Cottage.
http://www.laphil.com/give/volunteer-opportunities See Mrs. Zook for application or go online.
· LA Theater Center volunteer (Must be 18+ years old)
Be an usher for special events, interact and network with other performance enthusiasts, get an opportunity to see the performances you work
http://thelatc.org/volunteer Volunteer Contact: 213) 489-0994 firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineering and Design
· LA-HIP STEM Summer Research Paid Internship (11th grade Latino & African American students)
Application opens October 5, 2016. Application deadline January 31, 2017
· UCLA Engineering Summer Research Program
http://esc.seas.ucla.edu/high-school-summer-research-program/ 8 week summer program
Application opens December 2016. Application deadline January 2017
· UCLA SMARTS Program-STEM (10th or 11th grade & completed either: Algebra 2, Trig or Calculus by summer)
http://www.ceed.ucla.edu/smarts-1/ Summer program for students interested in STEM
Application opens February 2017. Application deadline April 2017
· Young Scholars Research Program/TANS Engineering (10th, 11th, 12th grades)
http://education.tanms-erc.org/programs/YSP 6 week paid summer internship: UCLA or CSUN
Application available spring 2017. Application deadline May 2017
· City of Los Angeles Bureau of Engineering
Ongoing high school internship opportunity for students with 3.5+ GPA
Email resume to: email@example.com
· ACE (Aviation Careers Education) Academy (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
Free weeklong summer program for students interested in learning about airport operation and career and technical opportunities in the aviation/aeronautical industry. Based out of the Van Nuys airport.
Application available spring 2017. Application Deadline spring 2017
· Summer Transportation Institute at CSULA (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
Free two week summer program for students interested in learning about careers in transportation.
Application available spring 2017. Application Deadline June 2017
· Explorer Post 747 (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
Whiteman Airport : 12635 Osborne St. Pacoima. Contact: Ruth Logan 818) 364-1224
Meet every 2nd & 4th Monday at the Whiteman airport. Learn about careers in aviation and learn to fly.
Start program at any time during the year.
· Air National Guard Civil Air Patrol (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
http://www.sq3.org. Contact: Lieutenant Shawne Bruce, Leadership officer, 818) 268-0422
Cadet program meets 7:00pm Wednesday nights at: 15900 Victory Blvd, Bldg 21, Van Nuys. Learn leadership skills, wear air force style uniform.
Start program at any time during the year.
· LAFD Cadet Post 89 (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
7063 Laurel Canyon Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91605. Advisor: Firefighter John Goshorn 818) 756-8689
Meet every Tuesday night from 5-9pm. Participate in fire department training activities, meetings and ride alongs.
New programs start up once a year. Contact advisor for more information.
· LAPD Cadets (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
6420 Sylmar Ave, Van Nuys, CA 91401. Advisor: Officer Kolb 818) 374-9456 & Officer Grzelkowska 818) 374-9415
Program teaches leadership skills, discipline, life skills, and volunteer at police station. Must commit to 18 Saturdays and once a week meetings every Thursday 5-7:30pm at Van Nuys Police Station.
New programs start in January & August.
· Mental Health Center Volunteer (must be 18 years old)
Must commit to volunteer for at least 6 months at San Fernando Valley Mental Health Center.
Contact: Charlie Rubin 818) 901-4830 firstname.lastname@example.org
Students can intern M-F before 5 pm. Learn office skills, conduct research, shadow staff members at events.
See Mrs. Zook for application.
· Pathways Intern Program-to Federal Careers (16+ years old)
Paid internships for students with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers. Must maintain a 2.0 GPA
Check website for deadlines
· Court Angels Internship (16 or 17 years old)
Perform clerical support, gain an understanding of court and related career opportunities.
Apply online year round.
Education, Child Development & Family Services
· One Generation Childcare or Adult Day Care volunteer (9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades)
http://www.onegeneration.org/volunteer/ Volunteer Coordinator: 818) 708-6668, email@example.com
Internships also available in the following areas: Social Work, Sociology, Child Development, Gerontology Opportunities available year round.
· West Valley Boys & Girls Club volunteer
Help with homework assistance, outdoor rec, supervision, games, arts & crafts, cleaning & maintenance.
See Mrs. Zook for application or download it on the website. Opportunities available year round.
· Library volunteer (14+years old)
Help with homework assistance, special programs, create displays, serve on a teen council.
Opportunities available year round.
· LA Parks & Rec volunteer
Find a local rec center, facility, or park you’d like to volunteer at and arrange an appt. with the Director. Complete a volunteer application (online or see Mrs. Zook). Opportunities to volunteer: after school clubs programs, coaching, special events, etc. Opportunities available year round.
· YMCA volunteer (14+ years old)
Reseda location: 818) 774-2840 Van Nuys: 818) 989-3800
Volunteer in the following areas: childcare, swimming, clerical, front desk & classes for children. Contact your closest YMCA for more information. Opportunities available year round.